Gown Selection Tips
- Make an appointment with a bridal shop and ask to work with their most reputable and knowledgeable sales person.
- Ask how much time you need to schedule for the appointment. (If you walk in, there may be other brides who have appointments, and you may not get a dressing room quickly, or serviced.)
- Wear clothing which is easy to slip in and out of since you will be changing clothes.
- Bring a strapless bra.
- Show the bridal shop the gowns you are like.
- Be flexible -- there may be a gown you see on the hanger or you have in the "absolutely not" category, but when you try it on, it may be just the one for you!
- Ask the bridal shop manager if there is a gown they have in the store which would look incredible on your body type, and try it on!
- Do not buy a dress you have not physically seen or tried on, unless you may return it for a refund!
- Invite your mom, and a few other besties with you which you trust to be honest with your selection, and know your vision.
- Find out the store's policies regarding payments, refunds, cancellations, alterations and pressing.
- Find out what you are getting for the price you are paying.
- Get a detailed quote in writing with pricing.
- a strapless style allows a larger woman to show some skin, but offers a decent amount of coverage
- a gathered skirt flow from an empire waist camouflages a fuller figure
- a box pleated skirt is a hip way to accommodate a growing tummy
- a crisscross bodice help diminish bust size
- a straight neckline is best to accommodate a large chest
- a v-neck adds sexiness without revealing too much
- an a-line silhouette is figure flattering
- a higher neckline elongates a small frame
- petite women tend to be short-waisted, so a dress with spaghetti straps makes it easy to alter
- gowns need to be the right length, so make sure the gown you get looks great when it is shortened
- the sharp angle of the v-neck minimizes the roundness of the bust
- wide straps conceal a supportive undergarment
- a seamless waist helps shape a big busted girl
- a well-cut strapless top with boning helps support a larger chest